Pulaski teen set to earn NWTC technical diploma before high school graduation

Home » Blog » Student Stories
Taylor Maroszek, Photography Specialist student

Taylor Maroszek

Photography Specialist student

Taylor Maroszek is set to graduate in May with two diplomas. She will receive the NWTC Photography Specialist technical diploma on May 15 – exactly one week before she graduates from Pulaski High School.

For as long as she can remember, Taylor Maroszek has loved all things agricultural.

Helping out on her grandparents’ farm, participating in 4-H and FFA, and showing livestock are a few of the experiences that have shaped who she is today. As a young girl, Maroszek would take pictures for her county fair projects with her mom’s camera and occasionally go with her mom on photo shoots for others.

A few years ago, she noticed photographers at the livestock shows she attended, and that sparked her career curiosity.

“I started looking into livestock photography as a career,” Maroszek said. “The more I found out, the more interested I got in pursuing a career as a photographer.”

In high school, she discovered she could start earning college credit and get closer to her career goals. During her junior and senior years, she enrolled in several dual credit classes through NWTC, earning both high school and college credit for those classes.

“Getting a head start on the career I wanted and becoming an NWTC student was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up,” said the aspiring portrait and livestock photographer.

Now 17, Maroszek is set to graduate in May with two diplomas. She will receive the NWTC Photography Specialist technical diploma on May 15 – exactly one week before she graduates from Pulaski High School.

“Taylor is by far one of the hardest working students I’ve had,” said Jessica Norwood, NWTC Photography program instructor. “She has handled everything so well and reached out for help when she needed it. She is a shining example of what high school students can achieve by taking dual credit classes.”

Taylor Maroszek pictures a future in livestock photography. Here she is in action

Taylor Maroszek pictures a future in livestock photography. Here she is in action.

Taylor Maroszek on the farm during golden hour

With a love for all things agricultural,  Taylor Maroszek plans on staying involved on the farm after graduation and continuing to help and teach her siblings and cousins.

Future plans

In fall, Maroszek will continue at NWTC with the Photography associate degree program . She also plans to obtain an internship to build up her credibility and experience as a livestock photographer.

Because of her early college efforts in high school, she will start the Photography program with about half of the courses already completed – saving herself a year of college and saving money in tuition, books, and supplies. Maroszek could finish her Photography degree as early as May 2025.

She also plans to enroll in NWTC’s Design and Graphic Technology associate degree program, either in fall 2024 or fall 2025. The timing depends on a personal goal she has set for herself – being elected to serve as a state FFA officer for the upcoming year. If elected, she will hold off on enrolling in the design program so she can focus on FFA and the Photography degree.

“Serving as a Wisconsin FFA state officer has been a goal of mine for several years, and I would be honored to serve the members of the Wisconsin FFA,” she said. “My family owns a farm where we raise and show livestock. I plan on staying involved on the farm after graduation and continuing to help and teach my siblings and cousins.” 

Q & A with Taylor Maroszek

For Maroszek, support from family and NWTC instructors has been key to her success with dual credit classes. Learn more about her NWTC experience and her career inspirations in this quick Q & A:

What has surprised you about your NWTC experience?
I was most surprised by how flexible NWTC has been. I have had a lot of great experiences working with the NWTC instructors and fellow students. I have made more friends than I thought I was going to at NWTC. I am really grateful for the instructor’s willingness to work with me and be flexible with my high school and personal schedules. I have had an amazing time at NWTC and consider myself extremely fortunate to have been a student there. 

How do you fit college/learning into your life?
It has definitely been challenging at times. My family and NWTC and high school instructors have been a tremendous help over the past two years when it came to keeping up with college and high school classwork and the other activities and events in my life.

What would you tell a high school student who is thinking about enrolling in dual credit classes?
It will be worth the effort! Look into what your options are and use the resources at your disposal to make the decision that best fits you. It is a great opportunity and experience for anyone interested in getting a head start on their college education. 

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an NWTC student?
There is no experience like it. Not only will you get a high-quality education, but you will also be able to build friendships and connections with people who have similar interests as you. 

Who has inspired you to pursue photography?
It started with my mom and now includes other photographers like Brodie Abney and my NWTC instructors. I am truly grateful for my family as well. They have continued to encourage and support me every step of the way.

About Dual Credit

During the 2022-23 academic year, nearly 5,500 area high school juniors and seniors earned college credits by taking dual credit classes through NWTC. Thanks to partnerships between NWTC and area school districts, the classes are free for students. Learn more about earning college credit in high school through dual credit classes.

A bright future in welding

A bright future in welding

Kalev Nelsen is turning his passion for welding into a career. On track to graduate in May from the Welding technical diploma program at NWTC Marinette, the Crivitz resident hopes to obtain a welding

View All Student Stories
Loading